Review of Dermafix cream Primer
I always seem to be late to the party, so when I was asked if I use a primer before a BB cream or foundation, I answered with another question: “Do I need to?” Really, is this a way for cosmetic companies to get us to buy more products? But then I decided to do some research – what is a primer like the Dermafix Primer used for?
Dermafix Primer – turning your skin into a smooth canvas
Essentially, it’s like when you are painting a wall – you usually have to prepare the surface in order to get a beautiful smooth finish and so the same applies to our faces, apparently. It ensures a smooth canvas for makeup to glide over the skin. Apart from that, it also makes your foundation last a lot longer.
Many primers are formulated with silicone-based polymers, like dimethicone, because of their smoothing effects on pores, uneven texture and fine lines and wrinkles. However, if you have acne-prone skin, it’s best to check with your dermatologist whether it’s beneficial for you to use a primer or not.
To correct and to protect
Because I thought it would be best to cover all my bases, so to speak, I decided to try a medical grade skin primer – The Dermafix BB cream Primer. DermaFix Cosmeceutical Skin Care is a South African brand which provides Advanced Skin Care Products specialising in Anti-Ageing, Hyperpigmentation, Acne, Scarring and Stretch Marks. Clinically tested ingredients provide measurable, scientific results for the correction, prevention and protection of the skin.
Superior skin care
Located in Johannesburg, this skincare brand sources laboratories across the world to supply effective solutions and updated formulations for superior skin care. This BB Primer is a recent product to their line and I put it to the test for 7 consecutive days. My skin is normal to dry and as we are coming to the end of a dry winter, I used the primer sparingly – a little goes a long way.
Remember to cleanse and moisturize first – primer isn’t a moisturizer. It gives a lovely slip to the skin and applying BB cream or foundation over it is a breeze. I tried it with 2 different brands of foundation, both lightweight products which I applied with my fingers. The effect is radiant and makeup lasts all day. If you have oily skin, I would leave it to set for a bit before applying your choice of foundation – the longer you leave it, the more matte your result. In hot and humid weather, you would also leave it on for a while longer.
Here are the facts about DermaFix Primer:
- All Skin Types;
- It’s a lightweight and non-greasy formulation that works with all skin types and tones to create the perfect canvas for your makeup application.
- Anti-Oxidant Benefits;
- Mattifies your make-up application;
- Delays the need to re-apply make-up;
- Helps reduce the appearance of pores as well as fine lines and wrinkles;
- Anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties whilst controlling the skin’s oil balance;
- Anti-inflammatory benefits helping to soothe redness.
- Aloe Vera: hydrating, antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory Jojoba seed oil: anti-inflammatory, soothes a chapped skin;
- Chamomile flower extract: anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, antibacterial and antiseptic benefits whilst providing
antioxidant protection against free-radicals;
- Lemon fruit extract: a source of vitamin c, providing skin brightening and antioxidant benefits;
- Horsetail extract: antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties. Helps strengthen connective
tissue in the fight against ageing;
- Hops extract: anti-inflammatory, antibacterial
Pine tree cone extract: improves the appearance of sagging skin as it limits subcutaneous fat accumulation and
strengthens lymphatic function;
- Rosemary leaf extract: natural antiseptic and antioxidant properties, helps to regulate oil balance;
The verdict? It’s good to be primed!
DermaFix BB Cream Primer comes in a whopping 40ml size, so really value for money – it retails at R360.00 VAT incl.
Ideally, it should be used with the DermaFix BB cream which I haven’t tried yet, but watch this space.