The City of Joburg took the decision to close the M2 motorway between the Crown Interchange and Maritzburg Street on Monday 18th February.
This was announced by the City’s Executive Mayor, Herman Mashaba. In a press statement issued by the City, the mayor is further quoted as saying, “The implementation of the full closure will commence on Thursday, 28 February at 6am to allow the bridge rehabilitation to resume.
“The full closure will remain in force up until the end of October 2019. The closure is necessitated by the continuous monitoring and the bridge visual conditions assessment which indicated that the structural integrity of the concrete elements is severely reduced.”
In his statement, Mashaba listed the interchanges and on-ramps that would be closed as follows:
Full closure of the M2 between Crown Interchange and Maritzburg Street
- The M2 eastbound will be closed between Crown Interchange and Heidelberg Road.
- No traffic will be allowed to travel eastbound past the Village Road off ramp at Crown Interchange.
- Traffic will be allowed to enter the M2 westbound at West Street travelling towards Main Reef Road and the M1 southbound.
- No access to the M1 northbound from the M2.
- Traffic will be allowed to enter the M2 eastbound at Heidelberg Road on-ramp or Maritzburg Street on-ramp.
- The M2 westbound will further be closed between Maritzburg Street off-ramp and Crown Interchange.
- No traffic will be allowed to travel westbound passed Maritzburg off ramp.
The following on-ramps will be closed
- Main Reef Road on-ramp onto the M2 eastbound
- M1 approaching from the south, ramp onto the M2 eastbound
- M1 approaching from the north, ramp onto the M2 eastbound
- Simmonds Street on-ramp onto the M2 eastbound
- Eloff Street on-ramp onto the M2 eastbound
- Heidelberg Road on-ramp onto the M2 westbound from the south and the north
- Heidelberg Road on-ramp onto the M2 eastbound from the north
- Wemmer Pan Road on-ramp onto the M2 westbound
- Eloff Street on-ramp onto the M2 westbound
- Booysens Road on-ramp onto the M2 westbound
- M2 on-ramp onto the M1 travelling north
Source: City of Johannesburg